Sunday, February 27, 2005

On Being Humble

(Luke 18:10-14) (Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee)

We all know what we’re supposed to understand from this parable: We are to be humble, as was the publican; and not proud, as was the Pharisee. The Fathers teach us that humility is a virtue, while pride is the root and essence of sin. They also tell us that we must be careful when we think we are righteous; because when righteousness, which brings us closer to God, takes pride as a companion, it no longer raises us up, but casts us down, and makes demonic what had been God-like in us. So, we’re all going to be humble; right?

We all know what the word means. The question, the challenge we face, is to put this knowledge into action. The apostle James wrote, “Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up.” (Jas. 4:10) But just how do we humble ourselves?

We certainly don’t learn how to be humble from our culture. I’m not a fan of country music, but I can appreciate the thought expressed by Mac Davis in the song, “O Lord, it’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way.” That could be our theme song. To a certain extent, we can begin the task of setting aside our pride and becoming humble by employing the “fake it ‘til you make it” strategy: that is, if I act as if I am humble, even if I don’t feel that way or think that way, I might one day become truly humble. I’m not sure how this will come to pass, apart from the grace of God delivering humility to me as a complete set – but what am I to do, if this strategy doesn’t work? And I have to be honest with you: no matter how hard I’ve tried to be humble, and to remind myself that I am not worthy, and that the person who just cut me off in traffic is more deserving than I am, when push comes to shove, I fail the test. Isn’t there anything we can do?

From The Arena, a book of instruction for monastics written by Bp. Ignatiy (Brianchaninov), we learn that holy monks, remembering our Lord’s words, “I tell you the truth, what you did to one of the least of these My brethren, you did to Me,” did not stop to consider whether their neighbor was worthy or not of their respect or service. Rather, their efforts were directed toward making sure that they did not fail to see that their neighbor is the image of God; and that what we do to or for that person is done to or for Christ.

Think about that for a moment. That person who just cut you off, or otherwise offended you in word or in deed – what are you thinking, what are you saying, about them? Something about their lack of intelligence, good manners, proper hygiene, personal appearance, or family background? Would you say those things to or about our Lord? Or would you be too embarrassed to repeat those words or thoughts in His presence? See, we have to realize that when we offend another, or wrong another, in thought, word, or deed, we have offended our Lord Jesus Christ; we have done wrong to Him. There is, the Fathers tell us, a profound connection between love and humility: love for our neighbor is preceded by humility; hatred for our neighbor is preceded by criticism and condemnation – and these are rooted in our pride.

If we focus on “being humble” in the “fake it ‘til you make it” school of thought, we are still concentrating on ourselves. If, instead, we learn to see everyone else as an icon of Christ, and to respond appropriately, we will find humility without even looking for it; for Christ Himself did not count equality with God as something to be grasped, but humbled Himself, taking the form of a servant; to the extent of accepting death on the Cross for our salvation. Can we, who are made in His image, and after His likeness, do any less in our dealings with each other? If we are to be at all successful in bringing to life His image in us, we must be willing to consider everyone else as being Christ to us, and see no one’s sins but our own, and, like the publican, pray, “O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.”

Brothers and sisters: We who have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. We have within ourselves Christ, the hope of glory. Let us not seek glory; not even the glory of being thought to be humble; but rather, let us seek to see and serve Christ in everyone else, giving ourselves in the service of others, as He gave Himself to save our souls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, self-pity is a big problem. "You hurt me." "My parents never listened to me." "My father wasn't there for me." "I couldn't do what I was supposed to do because you wanted to..." After reading this posting 3 times, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps I should try humility. Not the blame game. Maybe I didn't deserve the treatment or whatever I resent that hindered me from moving forward, but now is forward. Now is my chance. I blame others for too much. I cast away my responsiblity and expect others to feel sorry when I don't or can't do what I promised... so must I be humble and refuse the blame on anyone but understand that we are all made in God's likeness and there for all forgivable? I must still stick by my word and efforts to help or support others, but not blame them for what I don't get done. It is still a confusing concept to me but I need to try a different route. I spend many hours and tears blaming others for my shortcomings and failures in life. That may be a deeper issue, but for starters I'd like to recognized only my role in problems or situations and focus on the solution in my own change. Is that a good route for practicing humility?

Fr. John McCuen said...

Dear Amy,

You said, ...for starters I'd like to recognize only my role in problems or situations and focus on the solution in my own change, and then asked, Is that a good route for practicing humility?

To be honest, I hadn't thought of what you (very aptly) call the "blame game" as having a direct connection to humility; but, now that you've made the connection, yes, I can see where our tendency to blame others for what we don't like about our lives comes from that same self-centered place that, more often than not, keeps us from true humility. Of course, being aware of our flaws and failures should keep us from pride. If our focus with regard to "unworthiness" is only on ourselves, and we look on everyone else as if they were Christ, this, too, should lead us to humility.

So, to make a long story short (too late!), I'd say, yes, you have found at least a part of the route toward the practice of humility.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.